The Assistant Editor will support our Editor to source and publish planned arts content on the magazine – see task list below for detail.
This is a freelance role working from home for 40 hours per month (c. 5 days). These hours could be worked on one fixed day or flexibly throughout the working week. Ideally, you are available to join occasional editorial meetings in London or Diss (Norfolk) during the period. If you are interested in the role but cannot offer this amount of time, please contact us as we may consider sharing the hours.
Voice is an online magazine run by a young editorial team for young people interested in the arts, culture and politics. Voice was launched by a group of young people in 2012 and has evolved considerably over the past five years, reaching 150,000 readers last year. We recruit and train volunteer contributors to write for the magazine and the site encourages young people to post content and find their voice in the arts. Young people can sign up for a free account and add blogs, reviews and events, or simply browse the site to find out more about the arts. Take a look at www.voicemag.uk
Voice is commissioned by Trinity College London to cover Arts Award and Trinity’s Music and Drama qualifications. We host an area of the site called ‘Arts Award on Voice’ (artsawardvoice.com) which supports young people working through their Arts Award and we are about to launch a page supporting Trinity Music and Drama.
Voice is run by Upstart Projects, a charity which supports young people to take part in the arts and develop creative careers www.upstartprojects.uk
- Editorial and writing skills
- Confidence in communicating via email and social media
- Working / volunteering in the arts, media or journalism
- Curating content
- Wider media skills eg simple graphic skills with Canva or similar
- Knowledge of Arts Award or Trinity Music or Drama qualifications
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Reliable and good at working to deadlines
- Ability to work remotely as part of a team
- Good written and oral communication
- Willing to travel within the UK if necessary
- Work with the Voice Editor to plan and deliver content within the Voice editorial plan with a focus on Arts Award and Trinity Music and Drama
- Arrange and conduct interviews for content (usually by phone or email)
- Source and write up case studies
- Edit submitted copy
- Attend and review occasional events
- Write occasional features
- Create monthly enewsletters in Mailchimp
- Promote content on social media
- Report to Tom Inniss, Voice Editor
- Liaise with the Voice editorial team (Editor, Media Editor and Administrator - all part-time) and the Upstart Projects team (Director, Business & Projects Manager)
- Liaise with the network of volunteer Voice Contributors
- c.£90 per day according to experience
Please write to us at [email protected] before 12 noon, Wednesday 26 September including:
- your CV
- why you are interested and suitable for the role (500 words max)
- contact details for two professional referees
- the number of hours you would be available to work each month and your availability during a typical working week (Mon-Fri)
We are planning to interview successful candidates via Skype on Tuesday 2 October.
If you’d like to discuss this role before applying, please contact [email protected] to arrange a phone call with one of the team.