Applications are now open for our next Voice Contributor Programme starting in September. If you have a passion for art, culture, politics or technology and have strong opinions that you want the world to hear, you should consider applying!
Being a Voice Contributor means that you get your work professionally edited, allowing you to build up a portfolio to show off. You also get access to press tickets and can help shape the magazine’s editorial direction. Check out our current great team of Contributors!
The Voice Contributor programme runs for three months working towards a paid commission at the end of the programme. During the programme, we will help you develop your writing craft and offer tailored workshops on writing style and the prospect of a career in writing. There will also be the opportunity to continue writing for us if you choose to.
Read on to find out more about the role, and when you’re ready to apply, email [email protected] with the subject line: Voice Contributor.
What's a Contributor
Voice is perfect if you want to post reviews about shows you attend, respond to the latest events in the world, blog about your passion for film, or post your own creative work for others to enjoy.
However, if you want to take it a step further, and get your work overseen by Voice editors before it gets released in the world, as well as gain great perks like press tickets, interview access to artists and membership to Benefits Cloud, then signing up as a Voice Contributor is the way to go!
Whether you want to create written, film, photography or audio work, we will help you to develop your ideas from conception to complete article, and include you in the editorial process. And if you’re doing Arts Award, your work will feature in our Arts Award on Voice area too!
Who Are You?
- You’re likely passionate about the culture or media; perhaps you’re planning a creative career or hoping to become a journalist.
- You’re probably between the ages of 16 and 25.
- You’re keen to join a magazine team and know this means working to strict deadlines.
- You have blogs and article ideas ready to pitch.
- You’re interested in covering events in your area.
- Maybe you’ve done an Arts Award, and you’re keen to share your tips with others.
- We encourage people from all backgrounds and with all abilities to apply!
What Will You Get?
The big question. Why would you choose to write for Voice?
We believe that young people should get opportunities to do what they love, and luckily we’re in a position to make that happen.
We also want to provide brilliant content for our readers.
There are loads of great perks to being a Contributor!
- Your content is featured on the website and our social media
- Access to Voice’s editors, who will go through your work with you and edit it
- Free entry to events you want to attend, and a chance to meet and interview artists
- Invites to team meet-ups, and guest speakers
- Experience working on a national team (great for your CV)
- Access to our travel budget if you need to go further afield
- The opportunity to influence our editorial focus throughout the year
- The chance to work with a lovely group of young people you wouldn’t otherwise meet — and it’s a lot of fun
What Do We Need?
We require full participation in the programme, which would see you writing two pieces of content per month although more is always welcome! You can discuss regular deadlines with Saskia, meaning you always know when you’re due to write something. We do require timekeeping and the ability to work to deadlines. Regular 1:1’s with Saskia and participation in the workshops are also required.
We are all about enabling and honing strong voices in the magazine, and we want to help you to develop yours. Bring us your opinions - whether it be on dance, music, policy, education, funding, video games, gender or…
Finally, and above all else, we require enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. We want people who are eager to take on board the advice we offer when editing, who will be willing to ask questions, pitch ideas and seek out further opportunities.
How To Apply?
Mostly, we want to see what you’ve done so far.
Drop an email to [email protected], with the subject line: Voice Contributor
Be sure to include your:
- Name, age, email and phone number
- Geographical location
- Up to 200 words about why you want to become a Voice Contributor
- Links to published work elsewhere if possible
- A couple of content ideas you’d like to work on
Good to know
The Voice Contributor programme runs for three months, although we would love to continue working with you afterwards.
Voice is run by Upstart Projects a charity which supports young people to develop their skills and find pathways into the creative industries.