What's a Voice Contributor?
In a nutshell, Voice Contributors are young people with opinions crying out to be heard! You may want to review shows you attend, blog about your passion for film, get access to artists to interview, or post your own creative work for others to enjoy.
Voice magazine is the perfect place - you can create written, film, photography or audio work, and get it overseen by Voice editors before being unleashed onto the world. And if you're doing Arts Award, your work will feature in our Arts Award on Voice area too!
What do you need?
You're likely to be passionate about the arts or media, perhaps you're planning a creative career or hoping to become a journalist.
You're probably between the ages of 16 and 25
You're keen to join a magazine team and know this means working to strict deadlines.
You're interested in reporting on the arts in your area.
Maybe you've done an Arts Award and you're keen to share your tips with others.
What will you get?
The big question. Why would you choose to write for Voice?
We believe that young people should get opportunities to do what they love, and luckily we're in a position to make that happen.
We also want to provide brilliant content for our readers.
So as a Voice Contributor you will get:
- your content featured on the website and our social media
- access to Tom and Nici, Voice's editors, who will go through your work with you and edit it
- free entry to events you want to attend, and a chance to meet and interview artists
- invites to team meet-ups, and guest speaker
- experience working on a national team (great for your CV)
- access to our travel budget if you need to go further afield
- the opportunity to draw upon the wealth of experience from our fabulous team
- to work with a lovely group of young people you wouldn't otherwise meet – and a lot of fun.
What do we need?
We would love to publish one piece of content per month from you, although more is always welcome! You can discuss regular deadlines with Tom or Nici, meaning you always know when you're due to write something. We do require timekeeping and the ability to work to deadlines.
We are all about enabling and honing strong voices in the magazine, and we want to help you to develop yours. Bring us your opinions - whether it be on dance, music, policy, education, funding, video games, gender or...
Finally, and above all else, we require enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. We want people who are eager to take on board the advice we offer when editing, who will be willing to ask questions, pitch ideas and seek out further opportunities.
How to apply:
Mostly, we want to see what you've done so far.
Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Voice Contributor
Be sure to include your:
- name, age, email and phone number
- geographical location
- up to 200 words about why you want to become a Voice Contributor
- links to published work if possible
Voice is run by Upstart Projects a charity which supports young people to develop their skills and find pathways into the creative industries.