This is an exciting opportunity for somebody who is confident in their abilities, brilliant with people and enjoys the opportunity to support artists and makers by selling their work. The gallery will invite them to become one of the core members of our small team in our much-loved Farnham art and craft charity that has been the destination for art and craft for more than 60 years.
The role is perfect for a driven and hard-working individual who shares our passion for art and craft. They are proud of our team who are confident and outgoing, striking up and developing client relationships with ease, upholding the sophisticated image of selling art and craft and are motivated by sales targets. They are proactive in informing clients of new art that has come onto the market which would suit their collection and maintain a personal service to our clientele. They are confident in talking to new clients and discussing the art we have on offer, matching the right artwork with the right clients and developing the clients' art collection with them.
The role includes an administrative and stock control element. Supporting the administrator, the post holder ensures that both manual and computerised administration stock systems are up to date and well maintained, essential for the smooth running of the gallery. They also ensure that stock is stored safely when not on display, helping to maintain accurate stock records, and packing and returning unsold work by courier when required.
The Gallery Assistant oversees the daily upkeep of the gallery, and that exhibition and gallery spaces are clean, up to date and welcoming. This includes wrapping up and protecting stock from damage in a storage room as well as climbing ladders to re-install pictures for exhibitions.
The position combines tasks and responsibilities:
- The ability to instantly build rapport with clients on the phone and face-to-face
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate and energetic about sales and hitting gallery's targets each month
- Drive for excellent retail / customer service experience
- High attention to detail with immaculate presentation
- Proficient IT skills
- Strong administrative and organisational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Willingness of comply with internal procedures and policies, abiding by health and safety guidelines and sharing responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues
- Commitment to the Trust's mission as a charity.
- Degree in art history / fine art / crafts / design / applied arts or a relevant field
- Experience of working in an art gallery / art retail.
For more information and how to apply: https://www.newashgate.org.uk/about/gallery-assistant-saturdays