UKYA CULTURAL LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME
In collaboration with Sarah McNicol
UK Young Artists champions the next generation of creativity, supporting collaboration and intercultural dialogue, ensuring a vibrant and diverse creative future for the UK. This requires young artists to be seen and heard, empowered to contribute their know-how and ideas effectively and develop successful sustainable creative careers.
Commonly artists operate outside of prevailing professional structures, so the importance of the contribution they make is often hidden. In turn this can mean that artists don’t see themselves as leaders and can lack confidence when it comes to leading in their own careers, in the work they do and in the wider cultural context.
With the right support young artists can be helped to:
- appreciate all that it takes to be an artist and the importance of their know-how and perspective
- recognise their value as leaders, both for themselves and within the work they do
- understand the opportunities leadership affords personally and professionally
- develop personal and professional skills, strengths and approaches to enable them to thrive and make their creative and cultural contribution powerfully.
The UKYA Cultural Leadership Programme aims to be a catalyst for personal and professional development and to equip, inspire, inform, encourage and empower emerging young artists as they establish themselves and their careers.
The programme will be delivered in a group coaching format. The dynamic schedule will include sharing, discussion, exercises and teaching. An important aspect of developing authentic leadership is discovering one’s own style and purpose. Practical and self-reflective activities will provide plenty of opportunity in this experiential programme.
- Session 1: Wed 27th June- BackLit, Nottingham
- Session 2: Wed 8th Aug- Whitworth Gallery, Manchester
- Session 3: Wed 10th Oct- Bloc Projects, Sheffield
UKYA Cultural Leadership Programme is open to any artist aged 18-30 who has the right to work in the UK. The programme is free, and UKYA will make a travel contribution of up to £50 per artist per workshop.
How to Apply:
- Download the information pack and read thoroughly before applying.
- Send a cover letter (single A4) addressing the questions highlighted in orange in the information pack.
- Complete the START Self-Evaluation Form. Accompany this with your current CV, A single image of yourself and a single image that represents your working practice/s today.
- Send this information to [email protected] with the heading 'UKYA Cultural Leadership Application' no later than 4pm on Friday 8 June, 2018