HomeGrown31 is seeking proposals from West Midlands based artists/creatives aged 18 - 35 to create innovative socially engaged or issue driven art.
Commissions £100.00 - £5000.00 (October 2020 - March 2021)
DEADLINE: Monday 28th September 2020 @ 10am
The commissions must respond to at least one of the below themes:
● Youth of the Future
● Mental Health
● Changemaking or Social Action
● Politics and Activism
● Identity and Culture
The commissions should be creative responses to the themes utilising any of the following art forms:
● Digital/Creative Media (including photography, film or animation)
● Visual Art
● Literature (including poetry, spoken word and short plays)
● Combined Arts
HomeGrown31 will be distributing a commissioning pot of up to £15,000.00 in the following three categories:
● Micro-Commissions (to test new creative ideas): £100.00 - £500.00
● Medium Commissions (to evolve creative ideas or bring something to life): £500.00 - £2,000.00
● Collective Commissions (for a group of artists/creatives to accelerate innovative ideas): £2,000.00 - £5,000.00
HomeGrown31 is where young and aspiring talent (12-35yrs) from across the Black Country & Birmingham come together to be creative, develop new skills and take the lead to initiate new opportunities and local change. HomeGrown31 is a catalyst for supporting young people from all backgrounds. Our HG31-family feel creatively and socially empowered to share their talents and grow bright futures!
HomeGrown 31 is Powered by Creative Academies Network
Creative Academies Network is a charitable organisation that supports the development of children and young people to reach their full potential through cultural education, creative practice, civic leadership and community collaboration as a catalyst for social, cultural and economic change. Our mission is to support children and young people facing multiple and complex disadvantages to have the right to access new experiences and opportunities, to live a fulfilling life that builds brighter futures across the Black Country and Birmingham.
How to Apply:
Deadline for proposals is Monday 28th September 2020 @ 10am. Late proposals will not be accepted.
Your proposal should include:
● Your proposal: Explain your idea, the reason behind the chosen theme(s), how you will deliver the commission and why it’s important now. This can be submitted in writing (maximum two pages of A4), PowerPoint presentation (maximum 10 slides) or as a video (maximum 5 minutes long). If you are applying as a collective/collaboration, please also provide information on all collective members, why are you coming together and how you will work together.
● Budget: Provide a budget proposal outlining your proposed costs (including Fees and Resources).
● Referees: Contact details for two referees.
● CV: Provide CVs for all artists/creatives who will be involved in the commission in writing (maximum two pages of A4) or as a video (maximum 4 minutes long).
● Portfolio: Please share links to websites, social media pages and/or writing, images or videos that are relevant to your proposal. Providing a portfolio/examples of previous work is optional.
● Monitoring From: Please return the supporting monitoring form (found here).
Please send your proposal with the subject line ‘HG31 Commissions 20-21’ and additional information detailed above to: [email protected]
● CAN (HomeGrown31) welcomes applications from people living in all areas of the West Midlands and from all backgrounds.
● All work to be undertaken in the West Midlands.
● HomeGrown31 will support artists to ensure they are working within appropriate COVID-19 government guidelines, it is each artist's responsibility to ensure that appropriate risk assessments, policies and procedures are followed
● If commission undertaken works with children, young people and/or vulnerable communities artists/creatives will be expected to obtain a DBS
● Artists working in public spaces will be expected to obtain Public Liability Insurance of up to £5 million, HomeGrown31 can support young artists to obtain short-term insurance policies (please request support within your application)
● Commissions should begin in October 2020 and be completed no later than March 2021
● Fee is inclusive of VAT
● Creative Academies Network will contract the appointed individual(s), who will be responsible for their own Tax and National Insurance.
For further information or for an informal conversation about this commission contact: Nikki Genner: [email protected]