Leeds Playhouse are looking for an Assistant Director to work on I WANNA BE YOURS written by Zia Ahmed and directed by Sameena Hussain.
An Assistant Director works alongside the director. They support the creation of the production, feeding in ideas and suggestions for how the play should develop. They run warm-ups and sometimes even lead rehearsals. They visit the show during performances on the director’s behalf, checking how the play is doing and giving notes to the actors.
This is an early career position.
I WANNA BE YOURS is a play for two actors and will be performed in our studio theatre, the Bramall Rock Void. It is a love story about Ella, a white woman from Hebden Bridge who is a struggling actor living in London, and Haseeb, a poet born and bred in London who is Muslim and of Pakistani heritage. It’s a tender, fluid funny play about love, especially when there’s an elephant in the room.
What’s the deal?
· You will receive a fee of £2250 plus up to £200 towards your travel expenses.
· You will be contracted as self-employed and be responsible for paying your own tax and National Insurance contributions.
· We can provide access support such as BSL interpreters if required.
· You need to be available for all (or the majority) of the dates Monday 4 April to Wednesday 4 May.
· You must be based in West Yorkshire.
· You must either be able to commute into Leeds Playhouse or, if you are shielding due to Covid-19, we can explore this opportunity being made available via Zoom.
Who they are looking for?
· Someone who is in the earlier stages of their career as a director and is looking for more experience.
· Someone who has some experience of the creative process of bringing stories to life and sharing these with a live audience.
· At Leeds Playhouse, they believe that telling stories is part of being human, how they describe the world as it is and how they would like it to be. How they change things. Make difference. They love theatre because it creates a space where they make and listen to their stories; they become real, enabling to have a conversation with ourselves , to reflect on and transform our view of the world and each other. They’re looking for someone who shares these beliefs.
· Someone who is supportive, engaged, interested, playful, passionate and open.
· Someone who is willing to learn.
· Someone who is a good team player.
· Someone with an interest in spoken word and/or physical theatre.
· As they want the theatre industry to reflect the diversity of the UK today, we are very keen to receive applications for this role from the widest of backgrounds.
Application deadline: 31st of January, 10am
For more information and to apply please visit: https://leedsplayhouse.org.uk/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/